This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Using the previously described approach, I find abdominal myomectomy in general to be a procedure quite comparable with other major pelvic procedures, such as hysterectomy. My postoperative course is associated with a 12% complication rate, the majority of which represents transient febrile morbidity, which resolves quite promptly. In addition, my transfusion rate is 3% or less and my postoperative length of stay is 2 to 3 days. This is consistent with other currently reported series and in my estimation justifies the continued philosophy of offering abdominal myomectomy as a primary treatment for symptomatic uterine fibroids regardless of future childbearing options.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Management of fibroids.Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 4: 463
- Flap technique ureteroplasty.Video Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1989; 2: 3
- Fibroids: Overview of current future treatment options.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1992; 99: 18
- Uterine leiomyomata: Etiology, symptomatology, and management.Fertil Steril. 1981; 36: 433
- Risk of recurrence after myomectomy.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1991; 98: 385
- Indications for hysterectomy.N Engl J Med. 1993; 12: 856
- Long-acting gonadotropin hormone-releasing hormone analog used to treat uteri.Fertil Steril. 1981; 45: 624
- A modified technique for hemostasis during myomectomy.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1992; 174: 153
- What’s new in adhesion prevention?.Contempory Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1994; 1: 15
- A randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study evaluating leuprolide acetate depot treatment before myomectomy.Fertil Steril. 1989; 52: 729
- Management of the symptomatic fibroid in women older than 40 years of age.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 1993; 20: 337
- Myomectomy.in: Nichols DH Gynecologic and Obstetric Surgery. Mosby, St. Louis1993: 606
- The effect of operative technique and uterine size on blood loss during myomectomy: A prospective randomized study.Fertil Steril. 1993; 60: 956
- Myomectomy after selective preoperative treatment with a gonadotropin releasing hormone.J Reprod Med. 1992; 37: 699
- Morbidity associated with abdominal myomectomy.Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 82: 897
- Doppler assessment of uterine blood flow changes in patients with fibroids receiving the gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist Buserelin.Fertil Steril. 1988; 49: 1083
- Management of uterine fibroids at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital.Trop Doct. 1984; 14: 82
- Uterine sarcoma in patients operated on for presumed leiomyoma and rapidly growing leiomyoma.Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 83: 414
- Routine hysterectomy for large asymptomatic uterine leiomyomata: A reappraisal.Obstet Gynecol. 1992; 79: 481
- Risk factors for uterine fibroids: Reduced risk associated with oral contraceptives.BMJ. 1962; 293: 359
- Progress in myomectomy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1942; 44: 196
- Uterine fibromas and sterility.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1958; 1: 501
- Myomectomy as a reproductive procedure.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 162: 1476
- CO2 Laser myomectomy in an infertile population.J Reprod Med. 1989; 33: 184
- Adhesion formation and reproductive outcome after myomectomy and second-look laparoscopy.ACOG. 1993; 82: 213
- Uterine fibroids: A clinical review.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1990; 97: 285
- Myomectomy.in: Thompson JD Rock AJ Telinde’s Operative Gynecology. ed 7. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1992: 647
- Abdominal myomectomy: Reducing the risk of hemorrhage.Seminars in Reproductive Endocrinology. 1992; 10: 358
© 1994 Elsevier B.V. Company. Published by Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.