This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
At this time, the growth of uterine myomas during pregnancy cannot be predicted. Major complications of pregnancy appear to be related to whether the placenta and the myoma are in contact. The location and number of myomas, especially in the lower uterine segment, increases the likelihood of cesarean birth and malpresentation. Frequent ultrasound evaluations to monitor fetal growth and presentation and the size of the myoma should be considered in pregnant women with uterine myomas. Surgical resection of myomas should be reserved for those pregnant women with symptomatic pedunculated myomas with a small stalk. In those women with a pregnancy complication owing to the myoma, resection should be considered prior to the next pregnancy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Barber HRK Graber EA Surgical Disease in Pregnancy. WB Saunders, Philadelphia1974: 383
- Surgical management of leiomyomata during pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 1989; 74: 707
- Spontaneous haemopoeritoneum complicating uterine fibromyoma.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 1972; 12: 210
- Uterine leiomyomas in pregnancy: A prospective study.Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 75: 41
- Cervical pregnancy associated with uterine leiomyomas.South Med J. 1966; 59: 900
- Indomethacin for the treatment of symptomatic leiomyomas uteri during pregnancy.Am J Perinatal. 1992; 98: 185
- Douglas RG Stromme WB Operative Obstetrics. ed 4. Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York1982: 289
- Ultrasound diagnosis of uterine myomas and complications in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 82: 97
- Red degeneration of uterine myomas.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1947; 53: 474
- Veit’s Handbuch der Gynäk. 1899; 2: 439
- Afibrinogenemia in pregnancy apparently due to a degenerating leiomyoma.Obstet Gynecol. 1961; 18: 285
- Intermittent urinary retention in first trimester of pregnancy.Urology. 1981; 17: 270
- Limb reduction anomalies and early in utero limb compression.J Pediatr. 1980; 96: 1052
- Uterine leiomyomas in pregnancy.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1990; 34: 45
- L-5 radiculopathy secondary to a uterine leiomyoma in a primigravid patient.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1980; 138: 160
- Ectopic pregnancy associated with fibromyoma.Nebr Med J. 1970; 55: 428
- Diffuse intravascular coagulation associated with a degenerating myoma in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 1967; 29: 207
- Complications of uterine leiomyomas in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 1989; 73: 593
- Myomas vs. contraction in pregnancy: Differentiation with color Doppler imaging.Journal of Clinical Ultrasound. 1993; 21: 241
- Leiomyomas in pregnancy: Sonographic study.Radiology. 1987; 164: 375
- Ultrasound diagnosis of uterine myomas and complications in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 82: 881
- Myomas of uterus in pregnancy: Ultrasonographic follow up.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1980; 138: 16
- The clinical significance of uterine leiomyomas during pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1989; 160: 1212
- Fetal head deformation and congenital torticollis associated with a uterine tumor.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1981; 141: 839
- Diagnosis and therapy of puerperal eversion of myomatoces uterus.Ginekol. Pol. 1973; 44: 699
- Epidural use of morphine in managing the pain of carneous degeneration of a uterine leiomyoma during pregnancy.Journal of Canadian Medical Association. 1982; 126: 505
- Cunningham FG MacDonald PC Gant NF Williams Obstetrics. ed 19. Appleton-Lange, Norwalk1993: 533
- Uterine myomas in pregnancy.Journal of the Association of Canadian Radiologists. 1984; 35: 168
© 1994 Elsevier B.V. Company. Published by Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.